Keywords:

Floating
Dynamism
Movement
Weightlessness
Chronophotography
Puppet

As I worked on my sculptures, my main focus was to document the movement, the movement of floatation. Just like the art of the futurists, they developed a number of techniques to express speed and motion, including blurring, repetition and the use of lines of force. For example the painting of Giacomo Balla, "Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash", it depicts a dog on a leash and the feet of the lady walking it, both in rapid motion as indicated by the blurring and multiplication of their parts. Also "Nude Descending a Staircase" by Marcel Duchamp is one of the most important examples.



                           
                                        Dynamism of a Dog on a Leash, Giacomo Balla

                                                  
                                        Nude Descending a Staircase, Marcel Duchamp

In those artworks, movement is depicted two dimensional, what I want is to document it in three dimensions. In my previous paper, I likened what I wanted to do to panoramic pictures, then I found a technique called " chronophotography". It is an old technique which captures some frames of a movements, combined into a single image. Chronophotography investigated movement and offered an accurate account of the phases of motion by capturing what the human eye cannot see.


                           
                                               Chronophotograph, Etienne-Jules Marey


Gussie Moran performing a power serve, Harold E. Edgerton



In summary, what I want to visualise and produce is the movement, the dynamics of floatation and senselessness in a three dimensional way. They might also move and literally show the movement in the end, thats why I put the word puppet in the list of keywords.

Comments